Monday, December 18, 2006

Still so far to go

I started running about two weeks ago. About every six months, I say that I'm going to be a runner. I'm going to do a 5K. And about a day later, after one run (that is mostly walking), I say, "Well, I can't do this today." And being a great procrastinator, it's three weeks later, and I've yet to follow up on that first run.

Two weeks ago, I started again. And then I took a break for a day and went back the next day. And the next. And one more. Then another Saturday. And so one. I'm starting Week Three of consistently working on that thing called being a runner.

This time, I can't really stop because I've told about 101 people I'm running a 10 mile race in April (those people include my friends, my grandmother and my VP). Plus, I already picked out the cute bracelet I will buy when I finish the Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run.

What better motivation is shopping?

Training? I'm doing OK. Since it gets dark kinda early, and since there's no way (yet) that I can wake up in time, I've been hitting the treadmill after work. I started just doing 20 minutes or so at a speed of about 4.1 mph. I'm now going at least 40 minutes, working toward a solid 12 minute pace.

I'm much more of an outdoors person, so I love going outside when I can, especially running on those natural trails through wooded areas. I visited Theodore Roosevelt Island yesterday. The loop was not as loop as I'd hoped (only 1.6 miles). I guess I could've just done it twice. But it's also not as secluded and serene as I expected. At any rate, I had a good run(/walk) and the weather was great.

Today I'm playing indoor kickball, so I'm going to attempt to do some working out on the elliptical before I play. The kickball-dork side of me can't believe I'm working out before actually playing a game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home